Friday, July 3, 2009

chemo 5: here I come!

Well, after studying really hard I managed to pass my blood test yesterday and am off for chemo today! I am not looking forward to it but it needs to get done and then....there will be only 1 more chemo treatment! Yes, the end is in sight.

This last one was tough. I am getting a new drug(for me) and its strong stuff! The Dr has reduced the dose for this time as I have been having issues with the side effects. I was actually glad I didn't have hair last time, as if its not there it can't hurt! I hurt from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet for the first 10 days. Had to put Follet's sequel to 'Pillars of the Earth" down as it was too heavy for me to hold. And the brain wasn't really working well enough to follow the story line....ah chemo brain, you have to love it! For any of you who thought my memory was having issues before, well, you have seen nothing yet!

I have also lost my taste sense! Which can be funny if you need to have some one taste test something. I don't notice it most of the time, only when I put something other than water in my mouth LOL I made spaghetti sauce about 10 days ago and only realized when i went to see if it need more 'stuff' that I could only feel the texture, but no taste at all. Now I know I'm not the world's greatest cook, but hey! there should be some flavour. This went on through my pulled pork experiment (which smelled awesome, and I'm told it tasted great :-0 ) and the potato salad effort! Glenda has given me a recipe for seafood salad that I really want to try, but the directions say to mix the sauce to taste, so I think it would be wise for me to wait until there is someone reliable here to taste it for me! And that would not be Janna so looking for volunteers!

Anyway, the chemo quilt is languishing on my sewing table. I have just not had the energy to go and sit at the machine, or do much of anything. Add to that, my nails are really taking a beating from this drug! I was watching TV about a week ago, looked down to see my big toe covered in blood from where the nail had split (down the middle!). It didn't/doesn't hurt but it sure looks funny. I guess I need to be alot more circumspect when I watch TV and not wave my feet around so much????

well, I will try to update well before the last chemo, but no promises at this point. And to update you on Glenda, she has returned to work! I am a tad jealous, normal life? I can't figure out what that would be at this point in time, but my turn will come.

And many thanks to Donna for the 'Celebratory 1/2 way there flowers'. I will post a photo if I ever figure out how to do that. The flowers were and are beautiful and it certainly gave me a mental lift when they came. I am always amazed by how something/someone always manages to do something for me that I need. And I really needed the boost the day the flowers came! So thanks ever so much!

For anyone still reading, I wanted to update you on my sister's foot. She had surgery 2 weeks ago, the foot is 'pinned'. She had an appointment with her surgeon yesterday and apparently she essentially broke the foot in half ! He said this is quite common? The really down side is that she has to be off work for 3 months. This is not a great thing when you're self employed, but at least she will be ok and that is way more important.

Take care all! I am hoping to be up to making some phone calls in a couple of weeks, but if you feel like yakking with me, please feel free to call! I will let you know that I am way better in the midday, the evenings seem to coincide with my energy taking a long walk off a short pier.......

No comments:

Post a Comment