Saturday, July 25, 2009

Chemo 6: The Last One!!!

Well, it seems like a long, long time ago that I was just starting out on the chemo journey. And I have come to the end, at last! I was so excited this week, even though I had appointments for one thing and another all week it seemed to crawl along until.....Friday morning at last!

The Picc line was also to come out which made me happy too. So chemo went well, I hope. I was lucky to be up in the 'penthouse' for chemo yesterday and even more blessed to have city Colleen with me. I have had 4 of my treatments up in the penthouse and I have to say it is my 'favorite' place to have chemo. It reminds me of the bridge of the Starship Enterprise, that big curved edge with windows wall to wall pretty much so you have a great view, well, at least its something. And the nurses station would be the bridge. The nurses up there are awesome, and it just seems to be calmer up there than on the main floor chemo wards. So it was a good day all round.

I was a little nervous about the Picc line removal after the treatment was done but it turned out to be a waste of my energy, which I had thought it likely was. Now I just need to get through the next 10 days or so and I can begin to really build up my strength before I start radiation. I have been very weak since the end of May really, and these last 2 months have passed in a blur of fatigue and at times, pain. But that is almost behind me and I'm looking forward to getting on with the remainder of my treatment.

I start taking Tamoxifen on August 14. And I am determined to not be the "Queen of Side Effects" on this drug. Given that I think I have done my bit for exhibiting side effects during chemo I am hoping I don't go there with Tamoxifen as I have to take it for 5 years! So hoping you can also send me lots of positive energy so that I am having some assistance with mine :-)

Little sis' foot is continuing to heal. She gets one of the pins out this coming Friday and she is very nervous. I will be sending her lots of positive energy that day and I hope some of you will too. I have no idea what that will feel like, but I'm thinking the picc line was way easier...

Glenda has returned to work and is doing very well. I am looking forward to that part as well although Dr Au informed me at my last appointment that he did not want me returning to work until at least December 1st!?! I had hoped for November but I guess I'd best follow his directions as I think he is the expert and not me. After all, this is my first (and God willing) my last trip across this dance floor!

Radiation will be starting mid to late August and going for 5 weeks. From cheering Glenda through that treatment I know it goes very quickly as you're so busy, going to the Cross every work day. But you're not there long, and then you can go home and sleep! Which I understand is not an option but a necessity. I will find out the for sure dates by August 4 and will keep you all posted.

Thanks so much to all of you who email, call and put up with me during this seemingly endless dance of treatment. When I first saw my surgeon, which seems years ago at this point, and he said I would be off for 'at least 6 months' I couldn't imagine that. I am now almost to the 6 month point (Aug 6 to be exact!) and can't believe how quickly that has really gone by. At times it didn't seem to be going quickly but looking back it seems just a blink.

Anyway, thats it for today. No bus driving last nite and although I feel quite tired today I am feeling positive that I am going to do better with the side effects this time. After all, it is my last time for this, God willing!
Take care all!

No comments:

Post a Comment